Past Continuous Tense
Here's an example:
"I was watching TV when my phone rang."
In this sentence, "was watching" is the past continuous tense form of the verb "watch". The speaker is describing an action that was ongoing in the past (watching TV), and this action was interrupted by another action (the phone ringing). The use of "was watching" indicates that the action was ongoing and in progress at the time the phone rang.
|Subject + was/were + present participle(verb + ing form)|
I + was + watching
He/She/It + was + watching
You/They/We + were + watching
The past continuous tense is not commonly used for certain verbs that denote a state or condition rather than an ongoing action. In such cases, it is more appropriate to use the simple past tense. These include:
Verbs of perception: see, hear, smell, taste, feel
I saw a movie last night. (simple past - preferred)
I was seeing a movie last night. (past continuous - not the preferred option)
Verbs of emotion: love, hate, want, need, like, dislike
She loved her new job. (simple past - preferred)
She was loving her new job. (past continuous - not the preferred option)
Verbs of possession: have, own, possess
He had a nice car. (simple past - preferred)
He was having a nice car. (past continuous - not the preferred option)
1) At 3 PM yesterday, I was working on my project.
2) He was watching TV when the phone rang.
3) They were playing soccer when it started to rain.
1) While I was cooking dinner, my husband was setting the table.
2) The kids were doing their homework while the parents were cleaning the house.
3) The teacher was lecturing while the students were taking notes.
1) I was studying for my exam when my friend called me.
2) She was walking her dog when she saw her neighbor.
3) The movie was playing when the power went out.
|I was talking||I was not talking||Was i talking?|
|We were talking||We weren't talking||Were we talking?|
|You were talking||You weren't talking||Were you talking?|
|He was talking||He wasn't talking||Was he talking?|
|She was talking||She wasn't talking||Was she talking?|
|It was walking||It wasn't walking||Was it walking?|
|They were talking||They weren't talking||Were they talking?|